If you’re looking for a tasty appetizer to whip up at your next party, I’ve got you covered! Chef Gonzalo at Casa de Mita in Riviera Nayarit taught me how to make his delicious Gluten-Free Plantain Gorditas Recipe and I’m certain you will also devour them! You and your friends will love the rich, sweet flavors as well as knowing they’re also vegan and nut-free–if you have any of those dietary needs. Perfect finger-food at your next party or an appetizer for a 4-course gourmet meal, you’ll be craving more. So let’s get started!
INGREDIENTS for Gluten-Free Plantain Gorditas Recipe:
- 1 Plantain, ripe
- 1/4 Cup Pinto Beans
- 3 Teaspoons Corn Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
DIRECTIONS for Gluten-Free Plantain Gorditas Recipe:
(Prep Time 2 Hours + Cook Time 30 Minutes)
1. Boil beans for 2 hours until soft. You can also soak the beans overnight and boil instead for only 40 minutes.
2. Mash beans with a fork.
3. Add salt & pepper to mashed beans.
4. Boil the whole, unpeeled plantain for 15 minutes until soft.
5. Peel the cooked plantain and then mash well.
6. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper.
7. Add 3 teaspoons corn flour to the plantain and knead with fingers until like dough.
8. Make a small patty with the dough.
9. Add a teaspoon of the refried beans to the middle.
10. Close off the patty so the shape is similar to a dumpling.
11. Seal the patty by pinching the ends so the beans stay inside.
11. You have two ways to cook the Gluten-Free Plantain Gorditas:
– Fry: Heat canola oil in a pan for 10 minutes and fry the patty for about 3 minutes, flipping it halfway.
– Bake: Place the patty in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown. This is the healthier option.
12. Blot each plantain patty with a napkin to rid of excess oil.
13. Plate and serve! Add a little mole sauce on the side for added flavor boost!