Every time I return to Casa de Mita in Punta Mita, Mexico, Executive Chef Gonzalo impresses me more and more. He’s the real deal! I watched his magic in the kitchen, adding a bit of this, a bit of that to make a super-rich and healthy stew with Thai and Indian influences. The vegetable stew is amazing; I basically licked the bowl…as secretly as I could without the other guests noticing! Follow the recipe below to make the Coconut Vegetable Stew that’s vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free to fit all dietary preferences and needs!
INGREDIENTS for Coconut Vegetable Stew Recipe:
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 White Onion
- 6 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Habanero Chili Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic (from a can)
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ginger
- 3 Cardamom Seeds (whole)
- A Pinch of Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Madras Curry
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Water
DIRECTIONS for Coconut Vegetable Stew Recipe:
(Prep Time 10 minutes + Cook Time 1 Hour)
1. In pot add coconut oil.
2. Dice onion and add to pot.
3. Sauté until brown.
4. Place habanero chili pepper in pot. (make small cuts in the pepper but leave whole)
5. Add paprika.
6. Sauté a few minutes.
7. Add minced garlic to pot.
8. Grate ginger and add to pot.
9. Add a touch more coconut oil.
10. Add cardamom, pinch of coriander, and cumin and continue to sauté.
11. Dice Roma tomatoes small and add to pot.
14. Chop eggplant and zucchini, toss in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in oven for about 20 minutes.
15. Add the roasted veggies to pot.
17. If desired, cook up some quinoa, rice, or pasta and add the stew on top.
18. Serve and eat!