I never realized I was a soup person until I experienced dinner at Casa de Mita in Punta Mita, Mexico. Every night, Chef Gonzalo whips up the tastiest, healthiest, freshest soups. I’ve shared a couple before including the Mushroom Soup Recipe and Cherry Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe. And this trip I enjoyed his super simple Celery Root Soup Recipe with Smoked Chili Oil. This is how to make my Creamy Potato Leek Soup Recipe!
INGREDIENTS for Celery Root Soup Recipe with Smoked Chili Oil:
- 3 Celery Roots
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1/2 White Onion (or Leek)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 Quarts Water
- Splash of White Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Dried Chili
DIRECTIONS for Celery Root Soup Recipe with Smoked Chili Oil:
(Prep Time 10 minutes + Cook Time 1 Hour)
1. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic cloves to pot.
2. Chop onion in quarters and add to pot.
3. Chop off bottoms of celery root, separate celery stalks, and add to pot.
4. Cook for 5 or so minutes.
5. Add water to pot.
6. Dice potatoes into 6 pieces and add to pot. (The potatoes add consistency to the soup.)
7. Add salt and pepper to pot.
8. Cook for about 20 minutes.
9. In a high-speed blender, blend all soup until puree like.
11. Add soup to pot again and cook another 5-10 minutes.
12. Add a bit more salt and pepper, scoop out the brothy top of the pan, so the consistency is nice and smooth, and add a tiny splash of white vinegar to give it a kick.
For the chili oil:
13. Cook the dried chili on the grill until charred a bit.
14. Blend the chili until very fine and powder-like.
15. Add pinch of chili and teaspoon of olive oil together in a small cup.
16. Top the soup with a splash of the chili oil.
17. Share with friends and devour it!